Monday, September 29, 2008

Ahhh...my children are learning....

Meaghan was the easiest baby and toddler ever. Seriously, she hardly ever cried, she smiled often, she slept and ate well. When I told her no, she actually listened. (I wish Alexa would listen just once or twice each day!) I quite honestly thought that the terrible two's were a myth. Meg was by no means perfect, just a fairly agreeable, laid back, happy child. Then she turned 12!!!!! Wow!
This summer I thought she had forgotten how to be nice and then about once or twice a week, I would see parts of my Meaghan shine through. O.K., so I know growing up is hard...it wasn't that long ago for me....and I know all of this is normal, but I really would love it most days if she could just be civil to her siblings.
Well, this weekend, my sweet Meaghan surfaced. We were in Boise and happened to go to the mall shopping. (With 3 girls, it was a must thing to do!) Meaghan noticed there was a Build-a-Bear Workshop. She always has loved going there. She told me that Alexa needed to get one because everyone else had one. (Meaning herself, and Nicolle and Gregg.) Alexa's birthday is this week so Meg was trying to con me into buying Alexa one for her birthday.
For once I was trying to be good and told Meaghan I had already spent enough money on a gift for Alexa and she wasn't really old enough to appreciate a stuffed animal like that anyway. Well, Meg was adament, so....she took out her own money and said she was going to buy one for Alexa for her birthday.
I have to tell you, as a mom it was so sweet to watch. Meg showed Alexa all the different stuffed animals she thought Alexa would like and then they picked out a kitty together. The two of them stuffed it and then gave it a bath and brushed it. They decided to name it Meow-Meow and Alexa carried her Meow-Meow around the mall the rest of the day.
So, my Meaghan is still in there and I was so proud of her for taking responsiblity and sharing such a sweet moment with her littlest sister.

1 comment:

christa said...

She is a dream child. . .how lucky for Alexa to have such a loving sister who will always look out for her. I think that sister relationship is so cool! You rock, Meg!